Monday, July 17, 2006

Insane in the Membrane

So here´s The Deal yaaa´ll:

Past:
I just finished up a 3 day trek into the Cordillera Blanca mountain range in an attempt to summit a peak called Pisco. Well, Pisco kicked my little white ass. Or perhaps it was the three ginormous foreign men that I was trekking with. Or maybe it was the lack of oxygen. Anyway, between the three my ass was grass. On the last day of our trek, after waking up at 12 am and climbing until 4:30 am, I finally had to give up, turn around, and hike back 4 hours. This made me sad. But what made me happy was that I made it up 5,250 meters of the 5,752 meters that comprise Pisco. Other things that made me feel ok about not reaching the top?? 1. Everest base camp lies somewhere around 5,500 meters (this varies about 200 meters in either direction, depending on what internet source you check) so essentially I was only 300 meters away from making that, which I think is pretty incredible 2. I blew all the boys away when it came to ice climbing 3. I have over 4 months to remedy a failed summit attempt; bring it.
Present:
I am chilling in Huaraz and contemplating trying to create some sort of project based on what I see during my travels with "art as survival" as a possible theme (fuck! I am such a nerd!)

Future: I plan on heading out in a few days to follow a stretch of the Inca Trail, or Inka Naani in Quechuan. Apparently, the trail North of Huaraz is in fairly good condition and the countryside is amazing. Unfortunately, at this point in time I have no partner and no tent. So, I might be doing this alone(which I wouldn´t mind)and sleeping wrapped in a tarp(which, at altitude, I would mind a lot). Hmm. Well adventures i wanted.....

No comments: